Sunday, November 6, 2016

Collection Additions Volume 7: A mixed bag of stuff


Hello dear readers and welcome back to the game room. When collecting games (or anything for that matter), I suppose the ultimate goal is to find the items of your interest wherever you can, obtaining as much as you can as economically as possible. After all, it can't entirely be done online, otherwise it would take forever and cost a fortune. So yesterday when I found myself at a local event for gaming enthusiasts, sellers and collectors alike, I circled the room like a shark looking for anything cool to get my hands on for a good price. So what'd I get? Let's check it out.


That's three Turbo Grafx 16 games (TV Sports Hockey, Takin' It To The Hoop, and Moto Roader), Super Bomberman 4 for the Super Famicom, Super Metroid for the Super Nintendo, and a Gold Nintendo 64 controller in great condition.

As I've mentioned before in previous posts, I'm a sucker for Turbo Grafx 16 games whenever I see them, no matter what they are, especially if they come with anything additional besides the actual game. In this case, I grabbed a buy 2 get 1 deal for these three, picking up 'Takin' It To The Hoop (about 10 bucks on eBay) for free. Two came with the inner jewel cases and manuals, and one just with the jewel case. As I've mentioned before, I wouldn't really consider the two with manuals "complete" because they're missing the large outer cardboard boxes, but they're still the most complete TG-16 games I own thus far. I haven't had a chance to try any of them out yet but most likely will do so soon.

Super Bomberman 4 is an interesting one. Since I just picked up a Super Famicom a few months ago, I've been on the hunt for games I can get for it. I've always had a huge interest in playing games that were exclusive to other countries, and Super Bomberman 4 is one such title. Here in the US we only got Super Bomberman 1 and 2, but Japan kept going all the way until #5. Anyway, when I saw it at the expo for a cheap price, I pounced on it and am quite happy with my decision, as I now have my first Japanese-exclusive Super Famicom game.

The gold N64 controller was also a nice pickup. This controller was packaged with the special Toys 'R Us-exclusive gold N64 console. It's in great condition, which isn't always guaranteed of N64 controllers- often times the sticks are so worn down and wobbly that it can really impact the playability of certain games. However, on this one the stick is nice and tight. Also, I got it for about half the price of what you'd normally find it for on eBay, which is always a good thing.

Super Metroid was probably my biggest score of the whole trip. I've been meaning to pick up this game for quite a while, as it has a reputation for being one of the best Super Nintendo games in the entire library. However, the price has often deterred me- for the most part, it hasn't been available for anything less that $50-55. My friend and I were just getting ready to leave the expo when I mentioned to him that I wanted to do one last circle around the tables for anything I might've missed. I spotted it at a table I had passed by numerous times already, plucking it out from a pile of other SNES games when I noticed that it was selling for a good deal less than the standard price. The cart was a bit dirty and had some writing on the back of it in marker, but it's nothing a little rubbing alcohol won't take off. I had a chance to try it out and it works perfectly, so I'm chalking this one up as a big win for me.

So that's all for now, thanks for reading and as always, game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment