Monday, September 14, 2015

10 Video Game Music Tracks That Creeped Me Out As A Kid

As you may have already gathered from reading any of my previous entries, I love horror. I also love video game music, and as such I thought I'd compile a list of musical scores I've encountered in video games over the years that have frightened me the most. Now, keep in mind a good deal of these tracks really aren't that creepy; however, they all completed the distinct job of disturbing me enough to remember them well. So, I present to you, 10 short stories about creepy video game music that I've heard over many years of gaming.

1. Pokémon Gold/Silver- Ruins Of Alph (Radio Music)


So here’s the scenario: it’s the year 2000, I’m 11 years old, and Pokémon mania is in full swing. After the fallout of Pokémon Red & Blue and the effects it had on kids my age, parents had begun to realize that we were all a lot more concerned with catching ‘em all than our math homework for the night. My parents were certainly among the masses that were in favor of locking our Gameboys up until we finished our homework for the night. As a result, the only time I found that I could play to my heart’s content was late at night, right before I went to sleep. One particular night, I was just futzing around in the Ruins of Alph, and out of dumb luck I just so happened to scroll through the radio stations when all of a sudden, I discovered this sinister little hidden track. With all the elaborate creepy pastas out there about Pokémon these days, it’s funny to think that this was long before any of that, and it terrified the hell out of me. Sitting up late at night, the house completely silent, and suddenly this truly creepy ambience of 8-bit sounds starts coming out of my Gameboy. It almost felt like something was watching me…stalking me through the ruins…ready to strike. Needless to say, after that I stopped playing late at night and stuck to my math homework. Maybe the parents put that track in there on purpose.  



2. Silent Hill 2- Brookhaven Hospital (3rd Floor)


The Silent Hill series may be the most terrifyingly disturbing franchise of games ever created. I don’t think I’ve ever been as scared playing a video game than I have been while playing some of these games. Silent Hill 2 was my favorite of the entire series, and personally, I think it’s the scariest of any to date. The Brookhaven hospital is about the midway point of the game, but for me, it was the scariest part. Hospitals have always creeped me out to the core. They’re places filled with sickness, with disease, and with death. And not just physical illness, but with mental illness as well. All these abstract aspects are chilling enough on their own, but when you’re thrown into a hospital alone, with the lights out, and with horrific monsters lurking around every corner, you’ll hardly have enough wits left to keep the controller in your hands. But that’s just the setting. The real horror, and this is one of the trademarks of the Silent Hill franchise, is the ambience and atmosphere the music creates which draws you until the world of horror, like it or not. This music plays when you enter the third floor psychiatric wing of the hospital. Every time I played through the game, I dreaded going up to that third floor just because of this music. It was (and still is) utterly horrifying to have to walk down that long, dark corridor, checking every room along the way and praying you didn’t run into something ,whatever that might be, waiting for you in the dark. That was the truly genius thing about the Silent Hill series- it preyed on your psychological fear. It (for the most part) wasn’t one of those games that relied on cheap jump scares to frighten you; it did so by isolating you, leaving you feeling alone and trapped, much like being in the grips of paranoia and insanity itself. Part of the reason it did so effectively was by surrounding you with music like this.


3. Doom II- Map 18, 27 (The Courtyard, Monster Condo) 


This music played on two levels, but the level I associate it with that creeped me out the most was level 27, Monster Condo. The level itself disturbed me in that it was a very dark level, and half the time you couldn’t even tell where you were going or which direction monsters were attacking you from. In addition, there were a number of long, wide open hallways with nothing in them at all; however, one wrong step could set off some kind of trap or trick wall and you’d be surrounded by demons in an instant. There was also one room with nothing in it but impaled corpses and body parts hanging from the ceiling. But aside from all of that, the music was very unsettling and provided for some of the creepiest in the game. Most of Doom’s soundtrack was very heavy metal-esque- literally, it blatantly ripped off the likes of Slayer, Alice in Chains, Pantera, etc. (and speaking of, this track is actually a total copy of Pantera’s “This Love”, practically note for note. However, I’m okay with it simply on the grounds that Doom’s soundtrack on a whole kicked ass). But in contrast, this music is very slow and creeping, like evil luring you into darkness. I remember that it scared me sufficiently enough to use that level skip code every time I got to it. 


4. Resident Evil 2- RPD Building (1st Floor)


For many young gamers of the late 90’s, the Resident Evil series was our first taste of fear from playing a video game. I know for certain that this was the case with me. I hadn’t played much of the first Resident Evil game by the time the second came out, though I knew of it and its plot. My friend Dave, whom I played video games with just about every day after school, had gotten Resident Evil 2 right after it came out, and I would often sit and watch him play it. Just watching was enough to terrify me beyond belief. Flesh-eating zombies, killer zombie dogs, horrific virus mutants, it all was enough to make me piss my pants. Well, not literally, but anyway, I couldn’t even so much as pick up the controller myself without being scared stiff. I remember lying awake at night after watching it being played, horrified at the thought of zombies breaking into my room and devouring me alive. The music only heightened that sense of tension and primal fear as you wandered the hallways of the abandoned R.P.D. police station, just trying to stay alive among the living dead and wondering just what the hell else this game had in store for you lurking beyond the next door. I think the music perfectly captures that fear, and definitely made it that much harder to keep oneself together while playing through. When I finally worked up the nerve to play the game on my own, I would always try to rush through the areas that had this music, just because it was maddening to hear it. The part that always got me, always made me jump a little, is right at the 1:00 mark of the video, when there’s a loud bang that’s part of the soundtrack, but I always thought it was something in the game itself, like some monster breaking through the wall ready to kill me. And that’s why this was the scariest in the whole game for me. There were so many memorable pieces of music, not only from this game but from other games in the series, that it was truly hard for me to pick one in particular. But I settled on this one because it left such an impression on me at a young age, and still gets to me even after all these years.



5. Super Mario Bros. 3- World 8 Overworld Map 


Anyone who calls themselves a true gamer has played Super Mario Bros. 3 at one point in their lives. It’s one of the best games for the NES, one of the best of the Super Mario Bros. franchise, and possibly one of the best games of all time. With its mix of platforming action, great music, and fantastic power-ups, I spent much of my childhood playing this absolute classic. Now at the time, every kid in the entire neighborhood knew how to get those warp whistles and skip ahead all the way to the end of the game, so getting to world 8 wasn’t a big deal. But, oh man, after playing even just a little bit of the game and listening to the happy, upbeat music and going through all those bright and colorful levels, nothing in the world could prepare you for stepping into world 8 for the first time. You go from happy, sunny, mushroom kingdom straight into hell. Literally, hell. There’s fire, darkness, and skulls everywhere. It’s like a bad nightmare. You have to fight your way through Bowser’s battleships and pits of despair (which you are dragged into by hands coming out of the ground) before you can even get to the levels, which are some of the most challenging and frustrating of the whole game. But in the overworld map, you’re treated to this 8-second loop of doom. And that’s what it is, pure doom. Like, “oh, you like using those warp whistles to get here kiddies? Well, welcome to hell. Just try to get to Bowser’s castle if you can.” Being very young and playing this was honestly a terrifying experience.

 
6. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards- Dark Matter’s Cave


Like all the other great Nintendo mascots, Kirby made a jump to the Nintendo 64 in a spectacular fashion. The game was pretty simplistic, no doubt, but it provided endless entertainment in the form of combining power-ups and searching for all the hidden secrets. Playing the game for five minutes might leave you with the false impression that this is purely a kid’s game. Granted, that’s how it and many other N64 games were marketed, but there were some legitimately challenging puzzles to deal with that often left me stumped as to how to how to collect all those crystals. And much like Super Mario Bros. 3, once you leave those cheery, happy, upbeat levels and make your way to the final world, what you find might truly disturb you.  Entering level 2 of world 6, you’ll be greeted by this sinister music. I remember feeling like the game took on a decidedly darker tone upon entering the final world. This track in particular always left me feeling very unsettled as I trekked into the heart of the dark matter.


7. Pikmin- The Final Trial 


Upon first listen, this track seems fairly innocuous. You’ve all but completed the game, and one last ship part to collect stands between you and 100% completion. Considering the hell you’ve gone through on some of the previous levels, building a few bridges and knocking down some walls doesn’t seem very difficult, right? Right? But behind the façade lurks something terrible. Something horrific the likes of which you haven’t even come close to encountering in the game yet. And that very sentiment is reflected in the music- the background music is pure doom, which is glossed over by a cheery little tune. As you’re progressing through the level, you’re thinking to yourself, “this is it? This is too easy, something isn’t right.” And if you’ve trusted your instincts enough, your dark fears will be confirmed when you break down the last wall and step into the arena, only to be ambushed by the biggest, ugliest, nastiest boss you’ve ever seen- the Emperor Bulblax. I literally jumped during my first playthrough when he burst from the ground and sent my Pikmin flying. He’ll effortlessly wipe out entire squadrons of your Pikmin if you aren’t careful- which, let’s face it, none of us really were the first time we faced him. And the worst part of it all? After nearly your entire army of Pikmin has been annihilated, and you finally manage to slay the beast, and that final ship part falls to your feet, you’ll notice that it’s a piggy bank. A god-damned piggy bank, not even an essential part needed to fly the ship and complete the game. All the lives of those Pikmin sacrificed for greed. Utterly horrific. Intentional moment or not (er, probably not, but whatever), it really puts everything into perspective and makes you think about what you’ve just done. As such, this unsettling music is quite fitting.


8. Crash Bandicoot- Slippery Climb 


The original Crash Bandicoot is a platforming masterpiece, plain and simple. The gameplay is engaging, the graphics are still wonderfully appealing even to this day, and it’s just such an overall fun experience. However, as you progress to the third and final island, the levels take a massive step up in difficulty. Case and point: slippery climb. Just the mention of its name is enough to make most Crash veterans shudder. Easily one of the hardest levels of the game, you’ll find yourself scaling the walls of a medieval castle in the rain while dodging enemies and performing some insane jumps. And just attempting to get the gem from this level was a nightmarish experience. If all of that wasn’t enough, this terrible, twisted track is playing the entire way through.


9. Twisted Metal- City Park 


Along with Resident Evil, Twisted Metal was one of the first games I ever played for the PS1. It’s an action-packed battle game that’s still fun to this day. Different cars, unique special abilities, and some kick-ass heavy metal music made for some great gaming memories. However, things got sinister on the second level if you’ve strayed far enough away from any of the other cars doing battle in the map. If you did, you were treated to this lovely track, which sort of sounds to me like a serial killer’s rendition of classic Christmas songs. I remember just hating this track because of how disturbing it was and always trying to get it to go back to the heavy metal music.


10. Gex: Enter The Gecko- Scream TV 


Though it might not be as memorable as the first game in the Gex series, Enter The Gecko was still a fun little game in its own right. As you traversed through the different levels based on TV shows and movies, you’d notice that it was all pretty cartoony and silly. The second you head into the Scream TV levels, however, things take a much more devilish turn. Looking back on it, these levels are pretty cartoonish too, but it doesn’t change the fact that these levels have you smashing coolers filled with blood, dodging giant monster faces coming out of the walls, and fighting off killer dolls straight out of Child’s Play. That all seemed pretty creepy to me, but this music just totally topped it off. I remember that I couldn’t play this game late at night alone in my basement if I had to go into those levels because of this music.

No comments:

Post a Comment